Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The 2010 Commerce Bank New Years Parade and 74th annual Cotton Bowl Classic

        
On December 31, the very last day of the year 2009, I headed off to Dallas, Texas for the long anticipated Cotton Bowl Classic! For those of you who aren’t big sports fans, Oklahoma State University and the University of Mississippi were chosen to compete in the 74th annual At&t Cotton Bowl Classic.

I felt incredibly honored at the invitation to appear as Miss Oklahoma USA 2010 at this year's Cotton Bowl Classic.  I am a student at Oklahoma State University, so it was a true privilege to not only represent the state of Oklahoma, but to also represent my university. I was exceedingly proud to wear my Oklahoma banner throughout the weekend, and I felt more apart of Oklahoma State University than ever before. 

The Hyatt Regency in Downtown Dallas welcomed me with open arms along with the OSU football team, the OSU cheerleaders, and the heaps of OSU fans. I really loved seeing the entire hotel sporting orange and black from every angle and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed signing the oodles of footballs,hoodies, etc.

COMMERCE BANK NEW YEARS PARADE: 

January 1, 2010
 



The next morning, January 1, 2010, was the parade day!!!! Yay!! “Celebrate Entertainment!” was the theme for the Comerica Bank New Year’s Parade. It was held in Downtown Dallas and was a great way to not only ring in the new year for locals, friends and family, but it was also a great way to welcome the thousands of visitors from all over the nation that came in town for the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic.


Once I arrived at the Dallas Museum of Art, I was ushered inside by a lovely group of parade staff members. I was also privileged to meet Miss Mississippi 2009, Anna Tadlock, and Miss Texas 2009, Kristen Blair. 

http://www.comericabankparade.com/news/news_releases_20091215.php -News Release of  Appearance in the Parade


They were both elated about the up coming Miss America Pageant (January 30) and I was sure to inform the ladies that I would be cheering loudly for both of them all the way from Oklahoma! I also was pleased to meet the "National Geography Bee Champion," Eric Yang. He competed in something similar to the National Spelling Bee, but it was over geography instead. He was an incredibly intelligent young man and I have no doubt that he has a very bight future ahead of him.

Miss Tadlock, Miss Blair, Mr. Yang and I were not the only special guests in the parade!! Jason Castro, the fourth runner-up in the seventh season of American Idol, appeared in the 2010 Comerica Bank New Year’s Parade, as well as the country music artists Eli Young Band. Other participants included the Ole Miss Rebel Band, the Oklahoma State University Cowboy Band, the world-famous Kilgore College Rangerettes, 20 high school bands from across the country, and a number of floats and equestrian units showcasing North Texas cultural and entertainment attractions.




During the parade I had the opportunity to ride inside an astounding antique automobile. The old-fashioned white convertible was such a treat! Making my way throughout the parade, I could hear shouts from all sides. Some screamed my name... others yelled, "Happy New Year!" …the Ole Miss fans would shout, “Hotty Toddy!!!” while the OSU fans would shout, “Go Pokes!” Little girls would scream, “Hi Princess!!!” while the little boys would yell, “Call me!” haha...It was quite the experience!!!

The parade began at Ross Avenue and Harwood and concluded at the American Airlines Center.   I think the most difficult part about being in a parade is smiling for the entire allotted time, while keeping it genuine. haha... However, I do believe I took the challenge like a champ! ;) I can handle a little cheek soreness every now and then! ;)  Regardless of my sore cheeks, participating in the Commerce Bank New Year's parade was a fantastic experience.  The city of Dallas truly outdid themselves.

(All proceeds from the Comerica Bank New Year’s Parade benefit the Scovell Scholarship Foundation, an all-volunteer corporation that provides thousands of dollars annually in grants for North Texas high school graduates with leadership abilities, high moral character, financial need, and a connection to sports. Scovell scholarships are open to students attending college in Texas or at a Big 12 Conference or SEC university.)



AT&T COTTON BOWL CLASSIC:

January 2, 2010

The next morning, a dear friend of mine, Brandon, drove all the way from Frisco, Texas to help contribute to my Cotton Bowl experience.   His mother works for Dr. Pepper, who just so happened to be sponsoring the 74th annual Cotton Bowl Classic. Needless to say, we totally got the hook up! ;) Brandon not only had four tickets to the big game, but he also had a ticket for a free breakfast, for free parking, and for a free program!!!  Not only that, but he went above and being in his generosity and brought along a Cotton Bowl Football, two Cotton Bowl Classic t-shirts, and authentic Dr. Pepper cups! He ROCKS!! I sincerely appreciated his thoughtfulness toward me.  Thank you, Brandon, for being so considerate!!!


Now as I mentioned earlier, The 2010 AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic was between the Oklahoma State Cowboys, from the Big 12 Conference and the Ole Miss Rebels, from the Southeastern Conference. The Bowl took place at Cowboy Stadium in Arlington, Texas. I was blown away by the new Cowboy Stadium!!!! Cowboy Stadium is massive in size and seats 80,000, but is expandable to hold up to 111,000 through the use of standing areas. The stadium is said to be the largest domed stadium in the world, has the world's largest column-free interior, and has the largest high definition video screen which hangs from 20 yard line to 20 yard line.


During the bowl game, I wore my Miss Oklahoma USA sash and was heavily bombarded by Ole Miss and O' State fans alike! At half time I thought I would never make it to the bathroom because I was stopping every five seconds taking pictures!!! Haha…But I gladly welcomed all of the fans with open arms. I consider it pure joy taking pictures and signing autographs.  It is always my pleasure.

On a little side note, here are some fun facts for ya!

- The 2010 Cotton Bowl Classic was the first in history to be played inside the new Cowboy Stadium.

- This was the second meeting between Ole Miss and Oklahoma State in a Cotton Bowl Classic. The two teams met in the 2004. Ole Miss won 31-28 on the arm of quarterback, Eli Manning.

To conclude, Ole Miss ended up winning the Cotton Bowl Classic once again, but the game was incredibly fun for me regardless! I was just happy to be there! :)












Visit "http://www.attcottonbowl.com/fan-zone/classic-videos" to check out a few videos, like the Oklahoma State Game Highlights. Also, be sure to check out the video of our Oklahoma State senior offensive lineman, Noah Franklin, having his hair cut by teammate, Andrew Mitchell. Franklin donated his hair to “Locks of Love”, which provides hairpieces to children suffering from medical hair loss. :)

It was an incredibly special experience for me to participate in the 2010 Commerce Bank New Years Parade and the 2010 Cotton Bowl Classic. I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend. It was the best appearance yet!!

I pray everyone had a safe and Happy New Year!!!!

-Hoping that 2009 was your best year yet and that 2010 is 100 times better!!!!! ;)

Warmest Regards,
Miss Oklahoma USA 2010,
Morgan Woolard


2 comments:

  1. You're a pro at this whole blogging thing! Looks like you had a fabulous time in Dallas! You look beautiful as always! I always heard putting Vaseline on your teeth helps if you're having to smile for long periods of time. Is that just an 'ol wives tale or have you ever tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I'm tryin to learn ;) Thanks! It was sooo much fun! Cowboy Stadium was amazing. Too bad we lost. :/ ... haha I have never tried that, but maybe I should. lol

    ReplyDelete